Project for the development of Oriental studies in Kazan in the early 19th century: On opening vocational schools for Oriental languages in the Kazan school district
Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers,
2021, Volume 12, Issue 1, Pages 117-122
AbstractToday Russian academic centers, including Kazan Federal University, are unique comprehensive research and education institutions that conduct research on both classical and modern subjects and implement original professional educational programs. In the history and culture of the peoples of Russia and the historical and cultural area of Volga-Urals in particular, Kazan University and its schools of sciences have played an exceptional role. The period from the late 18th to the early 20th centuries was marked by successful development of Asian and African research in Russia and Europe. A cohort of outstanding Russian orientalists, who represented many various ethnic groups of Russia, have provided globally relevant complex philological, historical, archaeological and ethnographic studies in academic and university centers of our country. Oriental studies became an important educational and scientific discipline and area of focus starting from the earliest days of the university community of Kazan. Lecturers and professors of Kazan Imperial University introduced the society to the history and culture of the peoples of both overseas East and the Eastern part of the Russian Empire, as well as expanded the understanding of the cultural legacy of both ancient and modern Asia. The article presents an analysis of the official project developed by the Board of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Empire and devoted to the formation of Oriental studies (including the research of Asian and African languages) in Kazan in the early 19th century.
- Andreev, A. Y. (2009). "Ideya universiteta" v Rossii (XVIII – nachalo XX v.) ["The university idea" in Russia (18th – early 20th centuries)] in "Byt' russkim po duhu i evropejcem po obrazovaniyu": Universitety Rossijskoj imperii v obrazovatel'nom prostranstve Central'noj i Vostochnoj Evropy XVIII – nachalo XX v. ["Being a Russian in spirit and a European in education": Universities of the Russian Empire and the educational space of the Central and Eastern Europe of the 18th – early 20th centuries]. Moscow.
- Artemyeva, T. V.; Mikeshin, M. I. (ed. by) (2005). Istoriya universitetskogo obrazovaniya v Rossii i mezhdunarodnye tradicii prosveshcheniya [The History of university education in Russia and the international traditions of education]. Vol. 2. Saint Petersburg.
- Baziyants, A. P.; Grinkurg, I. M. (1984). Tri proekta organizacii izucheniya vostochnyh yazykov i Vostoka v Rossii v XVIII – XIX stoletiyah [Three projects for the organization of learning Oriental languages and the East in the 18th – 19th centuries in Russia] in Formirovanie gumanisticheskih tradicij otechestvennogo vostokovedeniya (do 1917 goda) [Formation of humanistic traditions of Russian Oriental studies (before 1917)].
- Frähn, Christian Danilovich (1959) (Fond. 778) in Proceedings of the Archive. Vol. 16. Archive of the USSR Academy of Sciences. Review of archival materials. Vol. IV. Moscow – Leningrad.
- Gerasi, R. P. (2001). Window on the East: National and Imperial Identities in Late Tsarist Russia. Ithaca, NY.
- Istoriya otechestvennogo vostokovedeniya do serediny XIX veka [History of Russian Oriental studies until the middle of the 19th century] (1990). Moscow.
- Kiselev, V. S. (2012). "…Chtoby v Rossii zavedena byla Aziatskaya Akademiya: 'Projet d`une academie asiatique'" S. S. Uvarova v istorii rossijskogo orientalizma [... In order for an Asian Academy to be established in Russia: S.S. Uvarov's 'Projet d`une academie asiatique' in the history of Russian orientalism] in Vestnik Tomskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta. Philology Series. No. 3 (19).
- Kulikova, A. M. (1970). Proekty vostokovednogo obrazovaniya v Rossii (XVIII – pervaya polovina XIX v.) [Projects of Oriental education in Russia (18th – first half of the 20th century] in Narody Azii i Afriki [Peoples of Asia and Africa]. No. 4.
- Kulikova, A. M. (1979). Plan kollezhskogo sovetnika Yankovicha de Mirievo o zavedenii uchilishcha vostochnyh yazykov [Plan of Collegiate Advisor Janković Mirijevski on the establishment of a vocational school of Oriental studies] in XIV annual academic session of the LO Institute of Oriental studies: Proceedings. December 1978. Moscow.
- Kulikova, A. M. (1982). Stanovlenie universitetskogo vostokovedeniya v Peterburge [The formation of academic Oriental studies in St. Petersburg] Moscow. PP. 141–142.
- Mikhailova, S. M. Kazanskij universitet i prosveshchenie narodov Povolzh'ya i Priural'ya (XIX vek) [Kazan University and the education of the peoples of the Volga region and the Urals (19th century)]. Kazan.
- Russian State Historical Archive. F. 733. Op.39. D. 45. "O dostavlenii mneniya Ministerstvu inostrannyh del o zavedenii dlya vostochnyh yazykov uchilishch v Kazanskom uchebnom okruge". 21 avgusta – 22 noyabrya 1806 g. 16 ll. ["On delivering an opinion to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the establishment of vocational schools for Oriental languages in Kazan School District". August 21-November 22, 1806. 16 pages.].
- Shamov, G. F. (1956). Rol' vostokovedov Kazanskogo universiteta v izuchenii Mongolii i Kitaya (pervaya polovina XIX veka) [The role of the orientalists of Kazan University in the research of Mongolia and China (the first half of the 19th century)]: dissertation ... Candidate of Historical Sciences. Kazan.
- Voronov, A. (1858). Fedor Ivanovich Yankovich de Mirievo, ili Narodnye uchilishcha v Rossii pri imperatrice Ekaterine II [Teodor Janković Mirijevski, or Public vocational schools in Russia under Empress Catherine II]. Saint Petersburg.
- Article View: 11
- PDF Download: 18