Internationalization of higher education: motives, factors and problems (based on the results of sociological research)
Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers,
2021, Volume 12, Issue 2, Pages 30-36
AbstractThe article presents the results of two sociological studies conducted in order to study the motivation for obtaining higher education and the factors of choosing a university by foreign students, identifying problems and developing recommendations for their solution. It was revealed that foreign students generally value higher education, and that the motivational postulates of obtaining an education contain not only commercial goals, but also cultural ones. It has been established that Russian education is highly valued by foreign students in terms of quality, and that foreign students purposefully seek to obtain Russian education. It was determined that Russia is a financially attractive country for foreign students, including attractive in obtaining jobs. The study showed the high importance of the university website and social networks for making a decision on obtaining an education at this university. The results of the study showed that the level of training in higher educational institutions of the city meets the requirements and meets the needs of foreign students as much as possible. At the same time, a number of problems related to teaching foreign students were identified: language problems; learning problems; communication problems; sociocultural and social problems, for the solution of which a number of recommendations are proposed in the article.
- Priority project "Development of the export potential of the Russian education system". [Electronic resource]. URL: http://government.ru/projects/selection/653/ (date of the application 19.09.2020).
- Federal project "Export of education" [Electronic resource]. URL: http://government.ru/info/27864/ (date of the application 19.09.2020).
- Export of Russian educational services: Statistical collection. Issue 9 / Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation. - M .: Center for Sociological Research, 2019. P.29 – 39.
- T. A. Adisa, Understanding the trajectory of the academic progress of international students in the UK / Adisa T. A., Baderin M., Gbadamosi G, Mordi C. // Education and training. – T. 61. – Vol. 9. – pp. 1100-1122. – doi: 10.1108/ET-08-2018-0177
- D. Akiba, Recruitment of International Students Through a Synthesis of English as a Second Language Instruction, Social Justice, and Service Learning / Akiba, D. // Innovative Higher Education. – 2021. – doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10755-020-09538-2
- O. Fakunle, Developing a framework for international students' rationales for studying abroad, beyond economic factors / Fakunle O. // Policy Futures in Education. – 2020. – Vol. 11. – № 1478210320965066. – doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/1478210320965066
- Y. Han, An Investigation of the Experiences of Working with Multilingual International Students among Local Students and Faculty Members in Chinese Universities / Han Y., Li W., Bao M., Cao X. // Sustainability. – T. 12, Vol. 16. – № 6419. – doi:10.3390/su12166419
- J. Ma, Supporting practices to break chinese international students’ language barriers: The first step to facilitate their social adjustment / Ma J. // Journal of International Students. – 2020. – № 10. – pp. 84-105. – doi: 10.32674/jis.v10i1.773.
- J. Rivas, Seeking a sense of belonging: Social and cultural integration of international students with American college students / Rivas J., Hale K., Burke M. G. // Journal of International Students. – 2019. – № 9. – pp. 682-701. – doi: 10.32674/jis.v9i2.943.
- A. A. Yassin, Intercultural Learning Challenges Affecting International Students' Sustainable Learning in Malaysian Higher Education Institutions / Yassin A. A., Razak N. A., Qasem Y. A. M., Mohammed M. // Sustainability. – T. 12. – Vol. 18. – № 7490. – doi: 10.3390/su12187490.
- Galyamova E.F. The attractiveness of Russian challenge in the international market of educational services / E.F. Galyamova, G.O. Kudimana // Vestnik Udmurtskogo universiteta. 2017. V.27. Issue 3. P. 23
- Kapezina T.T. Problems of teaching foreign students in a Russian university / T.T. Capezina // Nauka. Obshchestvo. Gosudarstvo. 2014. №1. URL: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/problemy-obucheniya-inostrannyh-studentov-v-rossiyskom-vuze (date of the application: 20.09.2020).
- V.V. Neklyudova Comfortable urban environment as a factor in choosing the place of study of a foreign student / V.V. Neklyudova // Sovremennyy gorod: vlast', upravleniye, ekonomika. 2017.V.1. P.332.
- Salosina I.V. Research of the reasons for choosing a Russian regional university by foreign students / I.V. Salosina, Yu.O. Okhorzina// Vestnik Novosibirskogo gosudarstvennogo pedagogicheskogo universiteta. 2018. V. 8, № 3. P. 124-138. doi: 10/15293/2226-3365.1803.09.
- China as a Global Destination for International Students / Wei G., Lin W., Jingdong Y., Yanxiong W // Journal of politics and law. – T. 13, Vol. 1. – pp. 135-142. – doi: https://doi.org/10.5539/jpl.v13n1p135.
- M. Gündüz, Analysis of social adjustment factors of international students in Turkey / Gündüz M., Alakbarov N. // Journal of International Students. – 2019. – № 9. – pp. 1155-1171. – doi: 10.32674/jis.v9i4.917.
- Article View: 8
- PDF Download: 10