Development of professional competence of present and future teachers under the conditions of transformational processes in education
Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers,
2020, Volume 11, Issue 1, Pages 56-67
AbstractCurrently, the modern education system is in the process of transformation processes. One of the directions of reforming the education system in Ukraine should be directed at improving the level of professional competence of teachers, their knowledge, skills and abilities. The purpose of the academic paper is to study approaches to the formation of professional competence of present and future teachers under the conditions of transformational processes in education. The following scientific methods have been used in the academic paper, namely: methods of theoretical analysis and description – in order to reveal the theoretical and methodological aspects of the development of teachers’ professional competence in the conditions of transformational processes in education; methods of grouping, comparison and synthesis - to consider the features of the development of professional competence of teachers in Canada and Ukraine. In Canada, the development of professional competence of modern teachers involves the preparation of an exam by educators, which would certify the high level of their effectiveness. Intercultural competence-based teaching methods, introduced at higher educational institutions in Canada, have a positive effect on the formation of professional competences of future teachers. In Ukraine, the key directions for improving the level of professional competence of both present and future teachers should be professional self-improvement, which is achieved through purposeful self-educational activity. The professional activity of a teacher should include love for children, pedagogical foresight, knowledge of the subject of activity, pedagogical tact, innovative scientific and pedagogical thinking. The development of professional competence is a dynamic process of assimilation and modernization of professional experience, which leads to the development of individual professional qualities, the accumulation of professional experience, which involves continuous development and self-improvement. The professional competence of teachers allows not only applying basic knowledge and skills, but it also forms the ability to carry out practical activities in specific professional situations; it provides creative solutions to professional problems and makes it possible to easily navigate in a professional environment and possess a culture of work. The formation of teachers’ professional competence should be carried out on the basis of the general provisions of the system approach and the use of other scientifically sound approaches.
- Bachelor of education. University of British Columbia – Okanagan. URL: https://education.ok.ubc.ca/degrees-programs/bachelor-of-education/ (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Bachelor of education program. University of British Columbia. URL: https://teach.educ.ubc.ca/bachelor-of-education-program/ (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Campbell, C. (2017). Developing Teachers’ Professional Learning: Canadian Evidence and Experiences in a World of Educational Improvement. Canadian Journal of Education, 40 (2), 1–33.
- Campbell, C., Osmond-Johnson, P., Faubert, B., Zeichner, K., Hobbs-Johnson, A. (with Brown, S., DaCosta, P., Hales, A., Kuehn, L., Sohn, J., & Steffensen, K.). (2017). The state of educators’ professional learning in Canada: Final research report. Oxford, OH: Learning Forward. 99. URL: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/325483416_The_State_of_Educators'_Professional_Learning_in_Canada/link/5b10a3a20f7e9b4981007913/download (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Canada: Teacher and Principal Quality. National Center on Education and the Economy. URL: http://ncee.org/what-we-do/center-on-international-education-benchmarking/top-performing-countries/canada-overview/canada-teacher-and-principal-quality/ (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Chukhraj, I. B. (2017). Rozvytok profesijnoji kompetentnosti vchytelja. Tavrijsjkyj visnyk osvity, 1 (57), 89–94.
- Education (Bed). Trinity Western University. URL: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/education-training/k-12/teach/training-and-professional-development/teacher-education-programs (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Goodman, G., Arbona, C., Dominguez de Rameriz, R. (2008). High-Stakes, Minimum-Competency Exams: How Competent Are They for Evaluating Teacher Competence? Journal of Teacher Education, 1. URL: https://doi.org/10.1177/0022487107309972 (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Guay, F., Roy, A., Valois, P. (2017). Teacher structure as a predictor of students’ perceived competence and autonomous motivation: The moderating role of differentiated instruction. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 87 (2), 224–240. URL: https://doi.org/10.1111/bjep.12146 (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Help shape the next generation. University of the Fraser Valley. URL: https://www.ufv.ca/programs/teacher-education/ (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Initial Teacher Education Programs. Vancouver Island University. URL: https://education.viu.ca/initial-teacher-education-programs (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Koncepcija pedaghoghichnoji kompetentnosti majbutnikh uchyteliv u systemi stupenevoji pidghotovky specialistiv pochatkovoji lanky osvity. Khmeljnycjka ghumanitarno-pedaghoghichna akademija. URL: http://www.kgpa.km.ua/?q=node/233 (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Korpan, C., Sheffield, S. Le-May, Verwoord, R. (2015). Teaching Assistant Competencies in Canada: Building a Framework for Practice Together. Collected Essays on Learning and Teaching, 8, 219–230.
- Kovalenko, L. V. (2017). Rozvytok profesijnoji kompetentnosti vchytelja ukrajinsjkoji movy ta literatury v systemi pisljadyplomnoji osvity: metodychnyj posibnyk. Sumy: Niko, 116.
- Kryvonos, O. B. (2016). Umovy formuvannja profesijnykh kompetentnostej majbutnikh pedaghoghiv. Visnyk Cherkasjkogho universytetu. Serija «pedaghoghichni nauky», 9, 117–122.
- LeGros, N., Faez, F. (2012). The Intersection Between Intercultural Competence and Teaching Behaviors: A Case of International Teaching Assistants. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 23 (3), 7–31.
- Ministerstvo osvity i nauky Ukrajiny. URL: https://mon.gov.ua/ (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Petrikova, N. I. Profesijna kompetentnistj uchytelja – vazhlyva skladova jakisnoji osvity. Osvita.ua. URL: https://osvita.ua/school/lessons_summary/administration/34011/ (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Proghrama rozvytku profesijnoji kompetentnosti pedaghogha. Instytut pisljadyplomnoji osvity Kyjivsjkogho universytetu imeni Borysa Ghrinchenka. URL: http://ippo.kubg.edu.ua/content/17217 (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Rozvytok profesijnoji kompetentnosti pedaghogha: korporatyvne navchannja j avtorsjka proghrama. Sumsjkyj oblasnyj instytut pisljadyplomnoji pedaghoghichnoji osvity. URL: http://www.soippo.edu.ua/index.php/navchalna-robota/3137-23-rozvitok-profesijnoji-kompetentnosti-pedagoga-korporativne-navchannya-j-avtorska-programa (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- School of Education. Thompson Rivers University. URL: https://www.tru.ca/edsw/schools-and-departments/education.html (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- School of Education. University of Northern British Columbia. URL: https://www.unbc.ca/education/bachelor-of-education (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Sydorenko, V. V. (2017). Rozvytok profesijnoji kompetentnosti suchasnogho pedaghogha v umovakh vidkrytoji osvity: klasternyj analiz. Profesijna kompetentnistj pedaghogha v umovakh onovlenoo zmistu osvity ta vymogho rynku praci: III reghionaljna naukovo-praktychna konferencija. Vinnycja. Vinnycjka misjka drukarnja, 8–17.
- Tait, M. (2008). Resilience as a Contributor to Novice Teacher Success, Commitment, and Retention. Teacher Education Quarterly, 35 (4), 57–75.
- Teacher Education. Simon Fraser University. URL: http://www.sfu.ca/education/teachersed.html (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Teacher Education. University of Victoria. URL: https://www.uvic.ca/education/areas-study/teacher-ed/index.php (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Vovchuk, I. O. (2015). Rozvytok profesijno kompetentnosti vchytelja. Tavrijsjkyj visnyk osvity, 3 (51), 54–59.
- Wawan, W. (2016). The Relationship between of Teacher Competence, Emotional Intelligence and Teacher Performance Madrasah Tsanawiyah at District of Serang Banten. Higher Education Studies, 6(1), 128–135.
- Zakon Ukrajiny «Pro vyshhu osvitu» vid 01.07.2014 № 1556-VII. Data onovlennja: 18.03.2020. URL: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1556-18 (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Zhuravlova, L., Sheremet, M., Dmytriieva, I., Suprun, D. (2020). State of formation of motivation as one of the structural-functional components of speech development of primary schoolchildren with dysgraphia. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 24 (08), 8985–8999. URL: https://doi.org/10.37200/IJPR/V24I8/PR280893 (date of issue 02.06.2020).
- Article View: 12,574
- PDF Download: 13,301