Investigation of articles on leadership and school management in turkey
Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers,
2021, Volume 12, Issue 1, Pages 22-36
AbstractThe aim of this qualitative study is to analyse the content of randomly selected articles on leadership
and school management published in scientific journals in Turkey, and to determine the descriptive
characteristics, main and sub-dimensions, and general trends of those articles. For this purpose, the
“leadership” and “school management” directories were scanned in Google Academy. The samples
comprised randomly selected 30 articles that were published between the years of 2015-2021. The
content analysis of these 30 articles was based on main and sub-themes. The results revealed that when
the main themes of articles about leadership were examined, the subject of pedagogical leadership,
effective leadership and rotational leadership were discussed more than other articles. In addition, in
the articles related to school management, it was observed that organizational silence and favouritism
emerged. These main themes created some negative sub-themes, such as fear, anxiety, anxiety, and lack
of confidence and alienation of staff. In that case, it was observed that teachers were also influenced by
their self-sufficiency perceptions.
1.Altuntaş, B., Demirdağ, S. & Ertem, H. Y. (2020). Investigation of the Relationship between
2. School Administrators 'Management Skills and School Climate According to Parents' Perceptions, Academia
Educational Research Journal, 5(2), 254-269.
3. Arslanoğlu, Ş. (2016). Leadership in High School Principals, The Effect of Leadership Levels on
Teachers' Motivation (Konya City Example). Master's Thesis. KTO Karatay University Institute of
Social Sciences, Konya.
4. Aydın, Y. (2016). The Relation of Organizational Silence to Nepotism in School Management and
Teachers' Perception of Self-Efficacy, Educational Administration in Theory and Practice, 22(2),
5. Ayık, A., Diş, O. & Çelik, Z. (2016). The Relationship Between Transformational Leadership Roles
of School Principals and Schools' Openness to Change, Kastamonu Journal of Education, 24(2), 547-
6. Badur, S. (2014). Problems Encountered in School Management in 12-Year Compulsory Education
System. Master Thesis. Zirve University Institute of Social Sciences, Gaziantep.
7. Başaran, M. & Güçlü, N. (2018). Investigation of the Relationship Between School Administrators'
Management Styles and Teachers' Job Satisfaction, Gazi University Journal of Gazi Education
Faculty, 38(3), 949-963.
8. Can, E. & Nikolayidis, U. (2020). Participation in School Management: A Study on Counselors,
Anemon Muş Alparslan University Journal of Social Sciences, 8(6), 1787- 1806.
9. Can, E. & Ozan, C. (2020). Investigation of Class Teachers' Participation in School Management,
National Education, 49(225), 55-87.
10. Cerit, Y. & Yıldırım, B. (2017). The Relationship between Effective Leadership Behaviors of
Primary School Principals and School Effectiveness, Bartın University Journal of Education
Faculty, 6(3), 902-914.
11. Cesur, A. & Erol, E. (2020). The Relationship between Nepotism and Organizational Justice in
School Management: The Case of Afyonkarahisar Province, International Journal of Society Studies,
12. Coşgungönül, S. & Gül, İ. (2020). Primary School Teachers' Views on the Democracy of School
Management. International Pegem Education Congress Proceedings (213- 221), Ankara. DOI
13. Çuhadar, A. İ. (2020). Parents of School Management Participation by National Legislation in Turkey,
YYÜ Journal of the Faculty of Education,17(1), 374-404.
14. Demirtaş, E. & Şama, E. (2016). Transformational Leadership and Organizational Commitment
Relationship in Schools, Iğdır University Journal of Social Sciences, 10, 275-298.
Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers JETT, Vol. 12 (1); ISSN: 1989-9572 35
15. Erdem, C. & Eğmir, E. (2020). Democracy and Education: A Conceptual Review, Afyon Kocatepe
University Journal of Social Sciences, 22 (100th Anniversary of the Turkish Grand National
Assembly and Special Issue of National Will), 159-171.
16. Ermedyan, M. & Can, N. (2020). The Relationship between School Administrators' Leadership
Styles and School Effectiveness, Gaziantep University Journal of Educational Sciences, 4(2).
17. Gökyer, N. & Koçak, O. (2020). The Relationship between Authentic Leadership Behaviors of School
Administrators and Teachers' Organizational Citizenship Behaviors and Organizational Commitment
Levels, (54), 381-414.
18. Görgülü, D. & Küçükali, R. (2018). Investigation of Teachers' Technological Leadership Self-efficacy,
Journal of International Leadership Studies: Theory and Practice, 1(1), 1-12.
19. Güneş, A. M. (2020). The Effect of Teachers on Primary School Principals' School Management, Gazi
University Journal of Gazi Education Faculty, 40(1), 23-50.
20. Güneş, A. M. & Esmer, B. (2018). The Experiences of Primary, Secondary and High School
Principals in School Management Turkish Studies, 13(19), 843-864.
21. Kahraman, Z. Y. (2018). “Community Leaders Are Coming” The Effect of Leadership Training on
Leadership Orientations of Teacher Candidates. Master Thesis. Abant İzzet Baysal University Institute
of Educational Sciences, Bolu.
22. Karakütük, K., Özbal, E. Ö. & Sağlam, A. (2017). Teachers 'and School Principals' Opinions on
Practices Made to Ensure School Safety in School Management, Mersin University Journal of
Education Faculty, 13(3), 1214-1232.
23. Kavrayıcı, C. & Kesim, E. (2021). School Management in the Covid-19 Pandemic Process: Educational
Management in a Qualitative Research, Theory and Practice, 27(1), 1005- 1060.
24. Kaya, N., Göncü, F. T. & Erarslan, İ. (2021). Effects of Toxic Leadership Behaviors of Managers on
Organizational Cynicism and Employee Silence (A Research for the Public Sector), Journal of Life
Economics, 8(1), 111-120.
25. Koşar, S. & Buran, K. (2019). Examination of Course Supervision Activities of School Principals in
the Context of Instructional Leadership, Journal of Qualitative Research in Education, 7(3), 1232-1265.
26. Mirici, İ. H. (2008). “Training EFL/ESL Teachers for a Peaceful Asia-Pacific Region””. Asia Pacific
Education Review. 9(3), 344-354.
27. Oğuz, A. (2015). Investigation of the Relationship Between Visionary Leadership Behavior and
Instructional Leadership Behavior of Primary School Principals According to Teacher Perceptions
(Batman Province Example). Master Thesis. Zirve University Institute of Social Sciences, Gaziantep.
28. Öz, Ö. (2019). Digital Leadership: Being a School Leader in the Digital World, International
Journal of Leadership Studies: Theory and Practice, 3(1), 45-57.
29. Özdemir, M. & Yirmibeş, A. (2016). The Mediating Effect of Job Satisfaction in the Relationship
between Leadership Team Harmony and Teacher Performance in Schools, Gazi University Journal of Gazi
Faculty of Education, 36(2), 323-348.
30. Özdoğru, M. (2020). The Relationship Between School Administrators' Skills of Managing Differences
and Mobbing, Journal of New Approaches in Education, 3(2), 73-85.
31. Özmantar, Z. K. & Çetin, Y. E. (2017). Investigation of Leadership Skills of School Principals
Working in Primary Education Institutions, Mustafa Kemal University Journal of Social Sciences
Institute, 14(37), 261-284.
32. Reis, C. S., Formosinho, M. (2020). The Sisyphic Destiny of Philosophy of Education. International Journal
of Curriculum and Instruction, 12(Special Issue), 34-49.
33. Sarı, N. & Nayır, F. (2020). Pandemic Education: Challenges and Opportunities, Turkish Studies, 15(4),
34. Şahin, Ç. Ç., Avcı, Y. E. & Anık, S. (2020). An Investigation of Digital Leadership Perception
Through Metaphors, Electronic Journal of Social Sciences, 19(73), 271- 286.
35. Tedmem, Z. S., Palancı, M., Kandemir, M. & Dündar, H. (2014). Trends of Researches Published in
Education and Science Journal: Content Analysis, Education and Science, 39(173).
36. Tepe, N. & Yılmaz, G. (2020). Toxic Leadership Behaviors of School Administrators as a Predictor of
Teachers' Perceptions of School Climate, International Journal of Society Studies, 15(25), 3360-3381.
Journal for Educators, Teachers and Trainers JETT, Vol. 12 (1); ISSN: 1989-9572 36
37. Yaman, E. & Ezer, Ö. (2015). The Relationship Between the Instructional Leadership Behaviors of
Middle School Principals and the Organizational Commitment of Teachers According to Teacher
Perceptions, Journal of the Faculty of Education, Bayburt University, 10(1).
38. Yeşilmen, F. (2016). School Management, Organizational Communication and Examination of the
Problems Arising from School Administrators and Teachers. Istanbul Aydın University Institute of
Social Sciences, Istanbul
39. Yıldırım, A. & Açıl, Y. (2020). The Relationship between the Effectiveness of Management
Processes in School Management and Organizational Justice, International Journal of Karamanoğlu
Mehmetbey Educational Research, 2(2), 169-179.
40. Yıldız, C. D. (2018). Evaluation of Difficulties in the Management of Preschool Education Institutions,
Anemon Muş Alparslan University Journal of Social Sciences, 6(18), 95- 102.
41. Yılmaz, E. & Kurşun, A. T. (2015). The Relationship between the Instructional Leadership Behaviors of
School Principals and the Academic Optimism Levels of Teachers, Journal of Contemporary
Management Sciences, 1(1).
42. Yılmaz, K., Oğuz, A. & Altınkurt, Y. (2016). The Relationship Between Teachers' Leadership Behaviors
and Their Behaviors Supporting Learner Autonomy, Hacettepe University Journal of Education.
43. Zengin, T. & Arpacı, Ö. (2021). Investigation of the Effects of Ethical Leadership Traits of School
Administrators on Organizational Cynicism According to Teacher Perceptions, Trakya Journal of
Education, 11(1), 347-365
- Article View: 181
- PDF Download: 203